In Chattanooga, Tenn., the Hamilton County School District, First Student Inc., several independent contract drivers and local authorities have joined together in a unique partnership to promote school bus safety. The joint effort, known as the School Bus Safety Task Force, involves students and community members emphasizing good bus behavior, driver training and community awareness.
The initiative is sponsored by the Hamilton County Commission, the Chattanooga-Hamilton County Health Department, the Sheriff’s Department, the Advisory Council on Traffic Safety, the PTA and Norfolk Southern Corp.
Here are some of the safety program’s highlights:
• The Toby Tire safety program
• Choosing a student each month who demonstrates a particular character trait
• PTA meetings, town hall gatherings and neighborhood association meetings to educate the community on bus safety
• School board presentations featuring drivers, teachers and parents
• Extensive training for contracted and district drivers