1. Student walks to base of bus steps.
2. Adult stands behind student and helps him or her maintain balance while ascending steps. Student may need assistance in lifting a foot up the step. Students using crutches may need to use one crutch in addition to the handrail to ascend steps.
3. Adult assists student as he or she walks to the bench seat. Adult secures student in the seat as the situation indicates (car seat, vest, seat belt, etc.).
4. Adult secures walker or crutches in bus with approved straps, either in a seat or on the floor at an empty wheelchair tie-down site. Do not use bungee cords to secure equipment in the bus.
1. Adult places walker or crutches on ground near bus steps.
2. Driver or monitor assists student from the bench seat to bus steps.
3. Adult stands in front of student and helps him or her maintain balance while descending steps. Students using crutches may need to use one crutch in addition to handrail to descend steps.
4. Once student has reached the ground, adult helps student maintain balance until he or she is balanced in walker or on crutches.
Note: If student requires excessive assistance getting up or down the steps, contact student’s physical therapist to determine alternate method. Students may not stand on lift for loading or unloading.