What do I use ?????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doug

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2008 :  9:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody I need some help deciding what to use for diagnostics on buses . I am looking for something to diagnose and change some settings if need be . I have Mostly 2001 thru 2004 IC's with DT466 and one 2006 Ford with a 6.0 . Should I use a laptop , computer or a scan tool and if so what brand and type ? The Ic's will be out of warranty at least the 2001 is already . Any help or advice is appreciated !! Thanks

origcharger
Top Member

United States
619 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  06:03:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use Internationals programming and cables with the ony computer in the bus garage, a Dell desk top. Works fine for me but is not portable and AFAIK it won't work on the Fords.

Operating; Seven T444Es, One MaxxForce 7, One VT365, Four DT466s, One E-450 6.0 and one Mercedes in a C2.
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2008 :  11:01:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doug,

The "International IC-4" cable will work with almost anything (software/engine/trans) but it's pricy at about $600. Nexiq sells a "Bluetooth" wireless "dongle" that will allow you to use *most* software programs on *most* manufacturer's systems (body, engine, transmisison, brakes) for close to the same cost (a little more) but it's WIRELESS!

Most scan tools for trucks are "ProLink" types and yes you can read data and change Road Speed limits etc with them but they are VERY expensive to buy and to keep updated plus they cannot perform MANY of the required OEM tests - especailly engine tests.

Nexiq also distributes software for International now, MD-32 fleet and Diamond Logic Builder, or so the dealer told me. This is RECENT, very recent.

An old "retired" laptop from the district office (Win XP) with a good USB port is about all you need for any diagnostic software. You should (hopefully) ahve access to ISIS, if not get ahold of your IC dealer and have them set you up. If the IT department balks, just tell them to put an IP block on the computer so it cannot reach anything but the domain: "https//evalue.internationaldelivers.com/" then you are set.

Recovered laptop = $0
"Dongle" = ~$600
MD-32 Fleet = $???
DLB = ~$600 (I think that's what we paid)

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  6:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
md fleet is now called servicemax. it was to be released on nov 3 but nexiq hasnt recieved any as of last week. IH is also devolping their own cable that will replace the ic4. the nexiq wireless works great and works with most. i like the otc genyesis for light duty and it will read h/d but you can not do parameter changes or special tests as of yet. nexiq has some great stuff check out their website. as mod stated the prolink gets pricey and is getting a little obsolete. i have the luxury of playing and testing most. but i like hearing whats out there for the other stuff. i would like to find a light duty pc based software that is affordable.

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  11:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like my Nexiq but I still can't do anything other than read data on the Cummins. I can only do Acert Cats, no 3126 on the CAT software. The Brake software is nice will read wabco. Allison will do up to gen3 on the trans. Still after them to get programming!

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000