September 13, 2012  |   Comments (7)   |   Post a comment

VIDEO: Motorist drives on sidewalk to pass stopped bus

CLEVELAND — A 32-year-old woman was cited by police on Tuesday for driving her Jeep on the sidewalk to get around a stopped school bus, News Channel 5 reports.

Shena Hardin’s mother — who was in the car at the time of the incident, which was caught on video — told the news source that the bus was taking a long time, and that her daughter was running late. She said that her daughter made the move to “give that bus plenty of room,” but she denied that her daughter had ever driven on the sidewalk before.

However, News Channel 5 reports that the school bus driver captured video of the Jeep driving on the sidewalk on another day and contacted police. They were waiting at the stop on Tuesday, pulled Shena Hardin over and ticketed her.

To read the full story, click here. Below is a video from News Channel 5 that shows Shena Hardin driving on the sidewalk to pass the bus.

Read more about: Ohio, stop arm running/illegal passing

I think the lady (or not a lady because a lady would never do this) should loose her license just like a DRUNK driver because this is more serious you know that a child is going to be there. When drunk you think nothing is going to happen (Not to me)BOTH VERY STUPID ACTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy Jarrell    |    Sep 26, 2012 02:42 PM

What an Idiot. She needs her license taken away, then she can ride city bus around and slow her down.

Susan    |    Sep 18, 2012 12:52 PM

I have one pass me everyday, just had one pass yesterday and almost hit the girl that was waiting for my signal to cross. It's getting old when you can't get help with the law enforcement to back you up.

Donna    |    Sep 15, 2012 07:19 AM

In the 80's I had stopped at a students house. I had my yellows going. Before opening the door I saw a car coming around. Around it did! Went past the bus and turned right in the driveway I had stopped at. It was one of the girls mother. I attempted to talk with her and it went no where. I then followed up with the police. I had a opportunity to explain that if I had not doubled checked before opening the door a child could have wen across the driveway in her path. She simply stated "the lights on the bus were yellow when she started passing" and regardless of the police or I she was not caring about a thing other then she was within the law. She was within the law. She could pass on the yellow. But on a narrow street and knowing I was about to open the doors to her daughter and neighbor children did not matter to her. (Today I understand a person cannot pass on a yellow in NY. (I may be mistaken)) But she scared the hell out of me- not in seeing her in the mirror but just like the lady in this video the lack of fear and understanding of what they are doing scares me.

Dee    |    Sep 14, 2012 05:25 PM

It's hard to believe people will actually try to pass you on the right, but, obviously it happens. I'm happy to say it hasn't happened to me in several years, but one always has to be on the lookout.

Geoff Bridgman    |    Sep 14, 2012 08:02 AM

In the 7 years that I've been driving a school bus I've been passed on the right twice. Both times were on the same highway, but at different locations. The road has a wide shoulder and a car can zoom around you on the right pretty easily. In one instance the driver proceeded slowly. I was unloading kindergarten students. He stopped right about at my door and we read him the riot act. I don’t know what he was thinking, but the driver was very apologetic and seemed genuinely scared and upset over what he had done. On another occasion a guy passed me on the right at a rather high rate of speed, so much so I was not even able to get his license number, but did have a description of he car. On that occasion a student was coming from across the street and was in front of the bus when he sped by. Fortunately, no one was hurt, but a few seconds difference might have put her right in the path of the car. People running reds is almost a daily occurrence. They go past the bus almost a if it was invisible. It seems so many motorist just don't get it and it's vey hard to catch them. My bus has a 3-position door switch which allows you to activate the red before actually opening the door. I use this all the time and make sure traffic is stopped dead before allowing students to exit the bus. It's especially useful at stops where they have to cross the street. I'm always leery about that regardless of kids ages. I'm sure all school districts try as much as possible to arrange stops so kids don't have to cross the street, but it's not always possible. It's a real area of concern for me, especially after dark on school activity runs or even early in the morning during the winter when the days are short. The feature of being able to activate reds with the door still closed comes in very handy. Driver's should also check their mirrors on both sides to be sure no one is trying to pass you on either side of the bus. It's hard to believe people will actually try to pass you on the righ

Geoff Bridgman    |    Sep 14, 2012 08:00 AM

As alarming as this is I am disturbed by the end of the video of the student in the wheelchair who does not have a shoulder/lap belt restraint and his head is laying to the side. He should have a head should brace so not to choke.

Gregg    |    Sep 14, 2012 05:05 AM