February 22, 2011  |   Comments (9)   |   Post a comment

Student dies after being run over by school bus

GULFPORT, Miss. — This morning the Gulfport Police Department responded to a report of a pedestrian struck by a vehicle. The pedestrian was a 10-year-old student from Bel-Aire Elementary School.

Upon arrival, the student was found suffering from injuries. A witness told police that the Harrison County School District bus had made a pick up and was leaving when the boy ran up to catch it. He ran alongside the bus, and at some point he fell and was run over by the rear tires of the bus.

The student was transported to a local hospital where he died from his injuries.

The incident is under investigation.

Read more about: fatalities

I am a Transportation Supervisor for my county, I am also a school bus driver instructor. I have been a school bus operator for 38 yrs. As alot of you that claim to be school bus operators are very aware of the many blind spots surrounding your bus that can not be seen with your mirrors. I agree that the parents are just as much at fault. My heart is deeply hurting for these very same parents because they will live forever with this memory watching their child killed before their eyes. Putting the blame on anyone will never bring that precious child back. Education in the schools for the students and parents as well on the dangers are a school bus is what is needed. I have drivers that will freely go around to schools with their school bus to train and explain to the little ones as to how to approach a school bus. Once again my heart goes out to those parents as well as the school bus driver because he will forever have that memory to live with.

Paul Christopher    |    Mar 18, 2011 07:06 AM

A classic example of what can happen when children are not supervised and escorted away from the school bus. Every bus driver ought to remember that mirrors only help prevent, they do not prevent these tragedies. School bus drivers are as human as everyone else, subject to unruly distractions on and outside the bus, blind spots even when checking the mirrors, sickness interfering with concentration and also children that disobey directions for safe behavior outside the bus. It is a miracle these events are so few in my opinion. Easy to blame the bus driver until it happens to you. The California bus stop model requiring the bus driver to cross students, or a parent escort works to save lives. Excuses not to escort gives us what we have here, another dead child and another bus driver for the crowd to lynch.

jkraemer    |    Feb 27, 2011 12:21 PM

I agree with others, driver did not check mirrors. Also what about waiting a couple of seconds before pulling away from the stop! No excuse for this accident. My heart goes out to this family.

trans mgr    |    Feb 23, 2011 04:54 PM

The article didn't say ANYTHING about an unassigned stop. John Ivie are you a moron??? Oh wait, yes, you are.

Sue    |    Feb 23, 2011 04:31 PM

Classic example of the driver not checkin mirrors before driving away from the stop. It's the drivers fault. I'm a bus driver too, and WE are the responsible ones here, not 10 year old children. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

Sue    |    Feb 23, 2011 04:18 PM

What happened to the mirror check you're supposed to do before leaving the stop? What happened to school bus safety kids should have learned in school? IMO, driver fault. Didn't check mirrors, in the convex they should have seen the kid along the bus's side.

A bus driver.    |    Feb 23, 2011 03:39 PM

sounds to me like the child's parents need to be jailed for not getting the child to the bus stop on time and also allowing the child out of the car at that late time. Why didn't the parents just follow te bus to the next stop?

john ivie    |    Feb 23, 2011 08:58 AM

This is a sad incident to read about. The driver will remember that for the rest of their life. I believe any parent that drops their student off at an unassigned bus stop should be ticketed severely!

Sue Provonche    |    Feb 23, 2011 07:19 AM

What a tragedy! This saddens my heart to hear of this. I am sure that all involved are devastated. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Remember drivers: check the mirrors, check the mirrors, check the mirrors! Someone's life may be depending on it. TB

Tim Bentz Wenatchee WA    |    Feb 23, 2011 06:48 AM