January 11, 2011  |   Comments (10)   |   Post a comment

Texas student killed by truck while exiting school bus

KAUFMAN, Texas — A 7-year-old boy was killed while exiting a Kaufman Independent School District bus on Thursday.

The student, whose name has not been released, was struck by a Ford pickup truck that illegally passed the bus.

Police said that Salvador Hernandez struck the boy with his vehicle as the boy was crossing the street to his house. The school bus driver had activated the bus' flashing red lights and stop arm in compliance with state regulations, KHOU-TV reports.

Hernandez is facing an involuntary manslaughter charge. The victim's two younger brothers witnessed the accident.

Read more about: distracted driving, stop arm running/illegal passing, Texas

I think anyone that runs a school bus stop sign/red lights should have severe consequences. This is an ongoing problem in Michigan as well. When we turn the license plate number into the police, I don't know if they were ticketed or not. Thank God we have bus drivers that will not open the door until they make sure oncoming traffic has seen the lights and stop. We do not exit the bus to cross, but our kids do not cross until the driver gives them a signal.

Tina Campbell    |    Jan 19, 2011 07:21 AM

I don't understand. When the driver exits the bus to escort students across the street, who is incharge of the students on the bus? Does the driver trust them to behave? s the bus running? If the driver shuts the bus off and takes the key, are the red lights activated and the stop arm in place? I can just see a student coming to the front of the bus to the drivers seat and running over the driver.

Linda    |    Jan 19, 2011 05:59 AM

Lisa's comment about there would have been 2 deaths is absurb. Us California drivers make sure all traffic is stopped and we have a stop sign in our hands when we cross the road. This poor child would not have died if that driver would have escorted the boy across the street. The children in the bus are not in peril like the students that cross the street. How many k-8 students in California have been killed in the past 20 years being crossed by the driver. I'll bet there hasn't been any!

Steven    |    Jan 13, 2011 02:39 PM

I Know when Im going to have a kid have to cross the bus I pull half my bus into the oncoming lane to make sure they see me stopping. I'd rather have the car hit my bus they hit my students. I'll be more than happy to take a ticket for that rather than see something as horrible as a student get hit! I have had way to many times cars just blow right threw my lights and almost hit a student. They really need to enforce harder laws on people who run the buses Red lights!

Andrew Schriner    |    Jan 12, 2011 01:59 PM

If the driver had exited the bus,chances are, there would have been 2 deaths. It isn't like the driver of the truck didn't have warning. The bus has flashing red lights, and if it is like the bus I drive, it also has a stop sign that goes out which also has flashing red lights. So the driver in the road with still more flashing red lights probably would not have made a difference. I agree with Tom. The drivers who run a school bus's red lights, whether there is an injury or not, should be severely penalized. Only when our lawmakers take this seriously and enact stern legislation, will we see a change in driver behavior.

Lisa    |    Jan 12, 2011 01:50 PM

The idea that it is not safe to exit a bus full of students to escort children across the street is ridiculous. The students in the bus are safe. It is the students crossing the street that are at risk.

Barbara    |    Jan 12, 2011 12:00 PM

I do not feel it is safe for the driver to exit a bus with a bus full of students. The people driving who do not obey the bus signals should be charged to the fullest extent and maybe this would help make the public be more aware around school buses. I thought everyone who took a drivers exam knwe "RED means STOP".

Tom    |    Jan 12, 2011 11:20 AM

This is another reason why in California we get out and esscort pre-K to 8th grade. I feel for the family and the driver who had to see this traggic accident.

Sharleen    |    Jan 12, 2011 07:43 AM

If other states would enact a law lke California's requiring that the bus driver disembark the bus, hold up a stop sign and escort the child accross the street like a crossing guard, these awful incidents would not occur!!!

john clark    |    Jan 12, 2011 06:54 AM

This was the second of 2 deaths on a bus route in two days here in East Texas. sadly they happened one day apart, and within 60 miles of each other. We must do more as private vehicle drivers and bus drivers to assure student safety. Please lets make it our personal goal.

Marth Vincent    |    Jan 11, 2011 04:33 PM