May 24, 2010  |   Comments (6)   |   Post a comment

Detroit student who stuck head out of bus window dies

DETROIT — A Detroit Public Schools student died last Thursday after she stuck her head out of the window of her school bus and hit her head on a tree branch as the bus pulled away.

The fifth-grade girl had boarded the bus after school was dismissed and stuck her head out of the window. When the bus pulled away, her head hit the tree, police said.

The bus was operated by DHT Transportation, one of the contractors providing transportation services for the district, the Detroit Free Press reported.

Nine other children, including the victim's brother, were on the bus at the time. The Detroit Police Department is investigating the incident.

Request More Info about this product/service/company

My heart goes out to this little girls family. My little brother did the exact same thing on 11/17/2003 I miss him soooooo much i think about the whys and what if all the time! My heart goes out to the family kids that were their and the bus driver. :(

Roxanne    |    Sep 09, 2011 08:50 AM

Every day I tell them to keep their heads and hands inside the windows and and then they run home and tell their parents that thea "mean old Bus Driver" was yelling at them and hurt thier feelings. Next thing you know you have an angery pwrent calling the Superintendent wanting your head on a platter because you yelled at thier kid. I think we have far more dysfunctional parents than dysfunctional parents. Let them complain. I still yell every day because I do not want to see any of "MY Kids" end up like this.

David    |    May 26, 2010 02:58 PM

This is the why we have rules. School children should obey and follow the rules. It's up to us, drivers, to enforce them, if broken take the necessary actions. My heartfelt sympathy for the family, driver, and other student aboard.

Sylvia    |    May 26, 2010 07:31 AM

How sad shouldn't every bus have windows that are restricted like in NY?

Nancy    |    May 26, 2010 06:58 AM

This happened about 12 years ago in the district I work in now. Same situation! I'm glad the newer buses have windows that cannot open that far. I have spoken to students about this and remind them that it HAS happened. We also make sure no trees or poles are near the loop or exits or by corner bus stops. It is sad to hear that this has happened again. My heart goes out to them.

Barbara Vining    |    May 25, 2010 05:42 PM

How tragic. The windows on our buses here in New York State are restricted so they can't open that far.

NIla Repard    |    May 25, 2010 08:54 AM