April 05, 2012  |   Comments (7)   |   Post a comment

Lawyers challenge legality of school bus cameras

HARVEY, La. — Lawyers are challenging the use of video cameras on Jefferson Parish school buses to capture images of drivers who illegally pass the buses, The Times-Picayune reports.

The lawsuit argues that the cameras violate the Louisiana Constitution by using civil proceedings to address moving violations and giving law enforcement power to a company motivated by profit. Lawyer Joseph McMahon said he has signed up more than 20 plaintiffs and is planning to create a class action lawsuit.

The lawsuit targets an ordinance passed by the Jefferson Parish Council in 2008 allowing the creation of school bus traffic camera programs. McMahon said he could later add the Jefferson Parish School Board to the suit.

To read the full story, click here.

Read more about: stop arm running/illegal passing, video surveillance

I drive a suburban with 3 special needs students and an aide. I pick up the students and drive for 45 minutes to their schools for drop off. Then my aid and I drive 45 min. back to our school. We repeat this backwards in the afternoon. Is it a violation of my privacy right if our private conversations are recorded while operating the bus without children on the bus?

kim    |    Apr 17, 2012 05:58 PM

We as bus drivers have to much to remember when someone runs our REDS. Make model of vehicle what the person looked like driving the car/truck and license plate number. I'm all for the cameras, they will make our job a little easier keeping children that ride the bus safe.

kitty    |    Apr 17, 2012 04:33 PM

How kids are cameras are to protect the kids and driver!

Kye Ross    |    Apr 09, 2012 05:08 PM

If their child is injured or killed by a driver running the bus stop arms. Then they would want the cameras on the bus. I am very uneasy loading and unloading my students. I had a driver run my stop arms. After honking the horn and yelling at her out my window she stopped past my bus. I remined her stop means stop. Her response was see didn't see me. I'm 37 feet long, bright yellow, and have two red flashing lights in front and two in the back along with two stop signs with flashing lights. Can you say distracted driver?

Jerry    |    Apr 09, 2012 02:41 PM

No doubt those 20 plaintiffs are people that got tickets for running a bus stop sign. What a shame, I wouls love cameras like these where I drive. Also, I already have a right to turn info to the police for those that run my sign. There is no point to the statement about a company motivated by profit, since the fines from tickets go to the city and not the school or bus company.

Jamie    |    Apr 09, 2012 02:08 PM

I guess they would rather have to hold a funeral for a child that gets run down by someone who doesn't stop for a school bus stop sign. We need to do something to get the public's attention on this critical traffic violation that is causing the death of young children nationwide.

Nancy    |    Apr 09, 2012 11:32 AM

Think about it. A bonafide deterrent designed specifically to save the lives of our children. Personally, I believe the integrity of these lawyers to be dubious, at best. Profit couldn't possibly be their motivation, could it? If McMahon wins this suit, I would hope and pray that, if he has kids, they don't ride the bus, especially when one of his clients are near.

Steve    |    Apr 06, 2012 11:59 AM