Subscribe Today

December 29, 2009  |   Comments (0)   |   Post a comment

Massachusetts governor scraps plan to cut $18M for school transportation


SHARING TOOLS   | Email Print RSS

BOSTON — Massachusetts will not cut $18 million in regional and vocational school district busing, The Patriot Ledger reported earlier this week.

Gov. Deval Patrick has asked his secretaries of finance and education to analyze the state budget and present him with a plan for restoring the money by next week, Education Secretary Paul Reville told the news source.

The $18 million cut, proposed by Patrick this fall as part of his emergency, mid-year budget-cutting plan, would have affected up to 40 school districts.

“We’ve heard loudly and clearly from a number of districts that this would have a significant impact on them,” Reville said. “It would have been hard to avoid cutting into programs or laying off teachers.”

Reville also told The Patriot Ledger that the state’s secretary of administration and finance will be looking at options this week for restoring the money, including using stimulus funds, layoffs at the state level and cuts in other areas of government or education.


Post a Comment

Read more about: budget cuts

Request More Info about this product/service/company


Post a comment





Related Stories

Premium Member

Get bus sales numbers, transportation statistics, bus specifications, industry survey results, bus loading and unloading fatality statistics and more in the School Bus Fleet Research Center. Become a premium member today!
Log in Button Register Button

Newsletter

Get breaking news, industry updates, product announcements and more.