July 31, 2013  |   Comments (11)   |   Post a comment

VIDEO: Young rappers hype the school bus as 'My Limo'

By Thomas McMahon

A new back-to-school hip hop video sponsored by Kmart appears to have the side effect of promoting school bus ridership.

In the video for “My Limo,” Da Rich Kidzz — a group of rappers from Minneapolis ranging in age from 10 to 13 years old — ride a big, yellow bus and chant the refrain “my school bus is my limo.”

There are other lines that seem to encourage children to choose the safest form of pupil transportation: At the beginning of the song, one of the Kidzz announces their intention to “show ya’ll how to ride to school.”

Later, another group member says that when school is out, she needs “my yellow limo to take me to my house.” Also, the “my school bus is my limo” chorus is followed by an exhortation to “ride with me.”

Beyond the “yellow limo,” the song highlights school supplies and clothing. While the lyrics don’t mention Kmart by name, a red “K” is affixed to the front of a bus in the video.

As of this writing, the “My Limo” spot had more than 300,000 YouTube views.

Watch the video below, and tell us whether you think it’s a positive plug for the yellow bus.

Read more about: public image

Truly ghetto. Totally disgusted that Kmart would choose to identify with and promote this type if culture.

James    |    Aug 19, 2013 04:15 PM

I love this; it's a positive image for tweens.

Jess    |    Aug 18, 2013 10:21 AM

No wonder they are all standing there with the already forgotten words to the chitty chains new anthem. Shame on you Kmart for throwing innocent children into the filthy hip hop world and exploiting them. Forever Karmatic Kmart. Maybe the limo will help with grammar and they all will become Doctor's instead of life long Kmart shoppers.

Justice    |    Aug 15, 2013 10:43 PM

nice way to throw innocent kids into the filthy world of hip hop on the sly. No wonder they are standing there with the look of already forgotten lyrics to the anthem of America's forgotten chitty chain. Shame on Kmart. Karma never forgets.

Justice    |    Aug 15, 2013 10:40 PM

Love this & want to show it to my next 19A class @ the end of this month!!! Where can I purchase it if possible?

Francoise Crespo    |    Aug 09, 2013 04:52 AM

Will be showing this my drivers at our inservice the end of this month.

Marie    |    Aug 07, 2013 10:28 AM

I love this video... I'm a high school teacher and this promotes a positive image of school. I'm also an old school hip hop artist that loves good positive music. Makes me wanna shop in Kmart...

Mello    |    Aug 05, 2013 11:46 AM

this is cute, love it.

Marilyn    |    Aug 05, 2013 06:11 AM

Yeaaaaaaa! KMart. Great job! Love it!

Kay Kanupp    |    Aug 02, 2013 12:20 PM

What fun! It's nice to see kids sing in a positive way about the school bus.

Denise Clark    |    Aug 02, 2013 07:48 AM

GO K-MART, GO K-MART, GO K-MART... Love it, love it, love it!!! That was Awesome! It sent a chill down my spine, and I think I felt a tear trickle down my cheek. lol I've worked in the school bus industry for 14 years now, first as a state certified School Bus Driver, then a Delegate Behind the Wheel Trainer, and now I am a state certified school bus driver Instructor. Obviously, I love what I do! When I first saw the abreviated version of this in a K-Mart commercial, I only caught about half of it and thought hey, what was that? The next time I saw it, I was like, now this is something here! By my third viewing, I was like these young people really got it goin' on! I've been a long time fan up "real" Hip Hop. I didn't know this was a full blown video. It is very nicely done! I hope to share it with our drivers at one of our monthly safety meetings next school year. I hope Da Rich Kidzz keep up the good work and setting a good example!

J. West    |    Aug 02, 2013 07:19 AM