Colton (Calif.) Joint Unified School District was one operation featured in Green Fleets Across America in 2009. Fifty route buses are powered by CNG.
TORRANCE, Calif. — In 2009, SCHOOL BUS FLEET profiled pupil transportation operations’ green efforts in “Green Fleets Across America,” and we’ll be doing so again in our upcoming June issue.
We're looking for school bus fleets that excel in all areas — such as safety, training, innovation and maintenance — but we'll focus on environmental efforts. These may include:
• use of emissions-reducing equipment (diesel particulate filters, etc.)
• use of alternative fuels
• anti-idling policies
• increasing route efficiency
• recycling and waste reduction
• environmental community service (tree planting, trash collecting, etc.)
• use of energy-saving devices and sustainable materials in facilities
We’ll accept nominations through Friday, March 23. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org telling us a bit about your operation and what makes it great and green.